A surprising number of people answer NO to that question. And most of these people are not aware of what can be done to change that “No” to a “YES”! Dr. James Kalina believes that satisfaction with your smile is part of your overall level of dental HEALTH. For example: If you are happy with the space between your front teeth…you are HEATLHY emotionally with your smile. If you hate it…you are UNHEALTHY emotionally with your smile and therefore have a right to know what you can do to change it.
Selecting the right cosmetic dentist in Mankato is an important and very personal decision. Who should you trust with the appearance of your smile? Dr. James J. Kalina has the credentials, skill, dental services and heart attitude to help you achieve your very best look.
It Takes Good Oral Health
Well-credentialed and experienced cosmetic dentists begin smile makeovers with complete oral evaluations, including digital X-rays and other sophisticated imaging as needed. Your smile must be healthy before proceeding with any aesthetic changes. Dr. James Kalina will check for decay-free teeth, pink and intact gums, the condition of existing restorations and other measures of excellent oral health.
With those factors in place, the cosmetic dentist should discuss the patient’s aesthetic goals–in other words, what things does the individual see as imperfections? A good cosmetic dentist listens carefully to what his or her patient says and presents workable solutions to real concerns.
Also, the right dentist formulates a treatment plan which addresses smile defects–all with the patient’s desires and oral health in mind. In summary, when you pick a new cosmetic dentist, he or she must answer questions, be attentive to your health and goals and offer sensible solutions.
Available Cosmetic Services
When choosing a cosmetic dentist, find out what services are offered and how much experience the doctor has with each one of them. If you are looking into porcelain veneers, for example, inquire about how many of these cosmetic dentistry treatments the doctor has done. Does the doctor’s website have a patient gallery where you can view before and after photos of actual patients? If you are looking for a specific service such as orthodontic correction, does the dentist have the advanced certifications to straighten your smile?
Also, your prospective cosmetic dentist should be specific with you about:
- Treatment timeline and costs
- Risks and benefits of the procedures
- What it takes to maintain the restorations and how long they can last
For instance with porcelain veneers, the cosmetic dentist should outline the cost, how long they can last and even what an alternative treatment may be. Could composite resin bonding work to fill the defects?
Dr. Kalina offers basic to very creative smile makeovers. Often, he will combine different treatments to achieve a long-lasting and artistic result that really complements the individual’s facial features, age and gender.
Dr. Kalina offers these aesthetic services:
- Porcelain veneers are shells of dental ceramic that disguise deep stains and problems with shape and configuration. Veneers improve smile zones for a naturally beautiful look.
- Invisalign clear aligners treat mild to moderate orthodontic problems without the discomforts, inconveniences and obvious look of metal or ceramic braces. Treatment time is about half that of traditional orthodontics as patients work through a series of customized acrylic appliances that gradually correct aesthetics and alignment. And, the appliances are fully removable for easy brushing, flossing and eating.
- Laser gum contouring reduces excess tissue associated with “gummy smiles.” This no-suture treatment is comfortable and straightens uneven gum lines, exposing more natural tooth structure. Dr. Kalina has advanced training in laser dentistry.
- Cosmetic resin bonding which uses a tooth-colored combination of glass and acrylic. This one-visit, painless procedure fills in chips, cracks, pits, gaps and other small imperfections. Hardened to a durable finish with a special light, composite resin repairs can last for years with regular at-home and in-office hygiene.
- Tooth-colored fillings restore dental decay.Carefully matched to natural enamel, these fillings are durable, long-lasting and blend in seamlessly with the rest of a healthy smile. They require less enamel removal than amalgam fillings.
Choose the Dentist Who’s Right for You
Contact James J. Kalina DDS to arrange a cosmetic dentistry consultation. Ask questions about how this highly skilled dentist can deliver the smile you have always wanted.