Toothbrushes have been around for hundreds of years, but as humans have learned more and more about dental care, the tools we use to maintain our smiles have evolved. Modern toothbrushes offer all sorts of features, and the huge variety of available options may leave you feeling a bit overwhelmed. How can you choose the tooth cleaning tool that’s right for you? Here are four handy tips from your family dentist.
Choose Soft Bristles
Tooth enamel is the hardest substance in the human body, but that does not make it invincible. Brushing too aggressively — or using a toothbrush with hard bristles — can cause premature wear and tear on your teeth and can irritate your gums, possibly leading to gum recession. Plus, the soft bristles are better able to “bend” under the gum surface to clean the hard-to-reach areas.
Go for Comfort
You brush your teeth twice a day, so the last thing you want is to be uncomfortable while you’re cleaning your pearly whites. To find a toothbrush that is comfortable for you:
- Choose one with a head that is easy to move around in your mouth. The bristles should cover enough space to clean one to two teeth at a time.
- Find one with a comfortable grip. Some toothbrushes have rubber on the handle to help you keep a firm hold while you are brushing, while others have an ergonomic design that allows for easy maneuvering.
If you’re shopping for a toothbrush for your child, be sure to choose a product that is specifically made for young smiles. These brushes usually have very small heads and large handles.
Consider Going Electric
Automatic toothbrushes have come a long way in recent years. Research suggests that certain automatic toothbrushes are significantly more effective than manual brushes in removing plaque and keeping teeth and gums healthy. Here are a few more reasons:
- You can get a thorough clean without expending a lot of energy. An electric brush may deliver thousands of strokes per minute, making them ideal for folks who need a bit of assistance with their oral hygiene routine.
- Some toothbrushes are “smart,” reminding you when to start brushing the next section of your mouth.
- Many people, especially kids, think it is fun to use an electric toothbrush. If you look forward to caring for your smile, you may be more likely to stick to a good oral hygiene routine.
Ask for Advice
If you are still unsure of how to choose the perfect toothbrush, do not hesitate to ask for advice the next time you visit your dentist’s office. Your dentist and hygienist will be pleased to share their knowledge with you and perhaps even recommend a specific product. They may also offer you some personalized tips on how to brush your teeth in the most effective way possible.
A good toothbrush is one of your best friends in your fight against dental decay. We hope these tips will help you find a tooth-cleaning tool that is right for you.
About the Dentist
Dr. James Kalina derives great satisfaction from helping folks in our community to enjoy healthy smiles. If you would like advice on how to choose the best products for your teeth and gums, please contact us at 507-625-2021.