What do Mike Tyson, Christie Brinkley, and Chris Rock have in common? Aside from the fact that they are celebrities, they have also all undergone significant dental work — specifically, they all have dental implants. What exactly are dental implants, and why have many celebrities chosen them above other forms of tooth replacement? What can you expect if you invest in dental implants in Mankato? This blog post discusses the answers to those questions.
What Are Dental Implants?
A dental implant is a prosthetic tooth root. They are usually made out of a titanium alloy. During a minimally invasive surgery, they are inserted into the jawbone. Later, a lifelike crown, bridge, or denture is attached to their tops. Dental implants tend to be stronger and last longer than traditional bridges and dentures.
Why Dental Implants?
Celebrities are extraordinarily busy, so why would they commit to dental implants, a treatment that takes months to complete? There are a few reasons:
- Dental implants look and feel natural. Christie Brinkley was once quoted as saying, “I am grateful for the dental implant technology that feels and looks so natural.” Another celebrity with dental implants, Howie Mandel, stated, “I can chew with them, I smile, and for the life of me I don’t know which of my teeth are implants. It’s so natural.”
- Dental implants preserve the jawbone. The jawbone naturally begins to deteriorate after a tooth goes missing. Because dental implants act as substitute tooth roots, they prevent much of that deterioration and help the face to maintain a youthful, camera-ready shape.
- They are easy to maintain. In many ways, caring for dental implants is just like caring for natural teeth — that is a huge asset for celebrities who do not want to take time to remove dentures for cleaning or floss beneath a traditional bridge.
What to Expect with Dental Implants
If you are thinking about getting dental implants, your cosmetic dentist in Mankato or your oral surgeon can answer your questions about the road ahead. Here are a few notes on what to expect:
- The procedure is easier than most people expect. Model and businesswoman Kathy Ireland said that her dental implant procedure was “pretty easy” to tolerate, while Howie Mandel said that his treatment “wasn’t a big deal.”
- It is important to choose the right dentist. Celebrities with dental implants probably partnered with only top-rated dental teams. You do not have to be an A-lister to have access to great dental care. A little research can help you find a practice that has a reputation for providing comfortable, high-quality dental implant services.
- Every patient is unique. Dental implants are a highly customized treatment, so you cannot know for sure what your journey will involve until you attend a consultation with your dentist.
By and large, celebrities with dental implants love their replacement teeth — and for good reason! If you are thinking about rebuilding your lost dentition, this remarkable treatment may be right for you as well.
Meet the Dentist
Dr. James Kalina is an experienced dentist in Mankato. He partners with local specialists to provide start to finish dental implant services, and he takes special pride in designing high-quality restorations that are virtually identical to natural teeth. If you would like more information about your tooth replacement options, he would be happy to talk with you. Contact our practice at 507-625-2021.